Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I live in a Parish!!!

 
Hello family and friends! Sorry this post took so long to get to you. It is not so easy to use the internet. When I was going to type up a post after my first week of teaching, the power was out at the internet cafe and I could not get to the internet till now. A lot has happened, so here is a little taste and I will try to post pictures this weekend! Miss you all!

Two other American teachers and I left the big city of Gulu for Anaka, a small village, to teach at Pope Paul VI. We live in a parish with Father Martin and Father Thomas, two amazing men of God, who care for Anaka and several other small surrounding villages. In Anaka, there is only one main street through the village. We spend our nights watching football matches and playing cards with the Fathers, like gin rummy and spoons. They love spoons! Friday night was the first night we went out in the town to have a quick drink with the student teachers to celebrate their last week of student teaching. We were the only women out! We only stayed out for an hour because we had to get back for supper with the priests. As we walked back, surprisingly the men were the only ones out having fun, listening to music, playing pool, and having a beer. I asked the women I was with why this was and they revealed that the women never go out because that is the culture; they stay home, cooking, cleaning, and tending to the children.

That brings up the most beautiful aspect about Anaka—the children. I have never in my life witnessed children playing so harmoniously together. After school, we have to walk through the courtyards of the primary school and the kids are playing all sorts of outdoor games, netball (basketball without the bouncing), football a.k.a. soccer, jump rope, and some game where the kids in the middle try not to get hit by the incoming ball thrown by their friends (I played this and was wounded when I got hit—the ball was harder than it looked!).  So all this activity is happening amongst the little angels with absolutely no adult supervision! Imagine that!

This sweet picture is seen throughout the village: we have started a running club with the students and we run on little dirt paths that take us passed the huts and the little kids who run out of the huts join us and run for miles with us; no permission from the parents, they just bolt right behind us (some were so fast, they were ahead of us!). Two 3-year old boys followed us for at least two miles without shoes, they were quite the little runners; I wish I had my camera with me to capture all the little kids running with us—they outnumbered our students! Definitely one of my favorite moments of all times.

Okay, so now to the reason I came to Africa—to get my teach on with the Ugandan teachers! First of all, the students at Pope Paul VI are so respectful and kind, which helps when there are classes up to 70 students. Anyhow, this experience has been challenging to say the least. The educational system is extremely different here; it is based on the British system and the cultural norms that are accepted here would not be tolerated in the United States. I am trying to reconcile some of my frustrations with a cultural sensitivity, but this has been difficult and I find myself, confused, angry and sad, which annoys me because I don’t feel this way often (lucky me!).

Despite the challenges, the two teachers I am teaching with are kind and passionate about teaching. We are trying to implement strategies within the classroom that will challenge the students to become more engaged in the learning process. Most teachers in Uganda do not use student-centered learning strategies because their methods are based on lecture and dictation. The students can definitely memorize notes and repeat text information verbatim. However, when they are asked to think abstractly, it is a struggle. Furthermore, students speaking loudly within the class doesn’t happen and so when I ask them to share with their neighbor, they often look at me with blank stares. Though after a little practice, they have started to feel comfortable with it and I’m happy to say there have been times when the classroom is loud while working on projects or sharing information with each other. Plus, I have started a drama club and I have high hopes of them projecting!

There is so much more to share, but it would become a book and I know we all have busy lives. I miss everyone so much and look forward to seeing most of you face to face to share more about this amazing adventure.

 True!
This is a sign on the primary school building in Anaka.
 Sweet Parish!

 Making posho, which is the staple dish in Uganda. This feeds the students for lunch and dinner...posho and beans, it's whats for dinner!!!

 Some of my history students working on their project. Two of them are part of my drama club! They have come up with quite the play...social issues that they face.

 We attended a primary school debate that was quite controversial--Europeans should come back to Africa (3rd, 4th and 5th grades).

 The sweet kids of the village!

 Sibling Love!

 Celebrating with the student teachers, Linda and Maggy.

 Pope Paul VI Anaka

 Safari tan! On a safari, riding on tops of vans (mutatus).
 Running Club!

 Pope Paul VI students!

 Project Presentation Time!

 Everyone should smile this big!!!

 The kids love a photo!

 This is for real!

Safari sighting!

I will leave you all with a quick cap of what I did last weekend. Saturday night I slept in a hut and then went on a safari Sunday! It was magical. Everything you would want a safari to be—except I did not see lions, maybe next time!

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Laura...the children look amazing, please give them big hugs from Mama...I wish I was with you. Share your light and make a difference. Love always and forever, Franny Fry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laura,
    I've thoroughly enjoyed both of your posts/pics! I'm so happy you are having this wonderful experience and lifetime memory! We are blessed to have you representing American teachers and women of faith! Take care, enjoy & God Bless! :-) Kathy Heckathorne

    ReplyDelete