Sunday, July 1, 2012

First week in Gulu!


My first full week in Uganda has been a true cultural dream. Being a woman who has grown up with the opportunity and love to travel, new cultures have become my joy and passion. And as far as the different countries and cultures I have been exposed to, Uganda, Africa has been the most different to my own. A big “apwoyo matek/thank you very much” to all of you who helped me get to this beautiful and fascinating land.

Here are a few special moments of my week.

Monday, our first day in Kampala, we witnessed a fierce rainstorm. We were warned about it being the rainy season, but were not prepared for what seemed to be a storm that would wash away the entire city. After ten minutes of heavy rain, the mud streets looked as though there would be a threatening landslide. We thought we would be doomed to stay indoors for the rest of our first evening, but were told that TIA (this is Africa) and the storm will subside soon. Sure enough, that was the case. People were back in the streets only minutes after the downpour, embracing the red mud splashing on their feet and legs.
        
         Oh, the streets of Kampala! It is a sight I wish I could share with everyone, but you have to see it, to believe it. The streets were so busy, it seemed like a Bollywood movie, because it riveled India’s chaotic (to a woman who needs street lights to direct her to slow down or warn her to stop or go) and energetic streets I had only seen in movies. People were selling goods, fixing cars, walking with heavy loads on tops of heads, and riding bikes and bodas (small motorcycles that carry two to three people, not including the driver—we were advised to ride one person at a time, but my friend, Ashley and I broke the rules and did it the local way!).

         Tuesday, we went to the Embassy for a meeting with the United State’s Ambassador. During the meeting, several representatives discussed the US’s role in Uganda. Assisting with education was the most prevalent and we, as educators felt encouraged by this mission because we do believe that education is power!

After the Embassy, we visited the Luga House, which is a local organization that uses arts to empower the youth. Among the founders were local musicians, artists, and fashion designers. Their center was within the homes of the locals, so this was our first time walking in the Kampala neighborhoods, which were filled with little girls with water jugs on their heads and little boys running around. Our time in Kampala came to an end and we journeyed five hours to Gulu. The ride to Gulu, took us through many small villages, where the locals would wave and smile at all the “mzungu/white people.” This ride also took us across the Nile River, which is highly impressive, so words seem silly to try to describe it. We were not allowed to take pictures because it was a military area. We go rafting on the Nile, so there will be plenty of pictures to come.

Upon our arrival to Gulu, we were relieved to find that Gulu, though a major city in Uganda, was not as overwhelming and intimidating as Kampala.

         We had orientation Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. During orientation, we learned about Ugandan culture, the educational system and more about Invisible Children’s efforts in Uganda. We visited the IC headquarters, where we met Okot Jolly Andruvile the head of IC in Uganda and also a former victim of the Lord’s Resistance Army. I would encourage you to find out more about her and Invisible Children. Recently, IC has been scrutinized. I never doubted IC, but after hearing Jolly speak, I felt even more impassioned about the teacher exchange program and honored to be a part of this organization because IC, she says and I now have witnessed first hand is made up of people of the community. This organization is about empowering Ugandans and encouraging sustainability. An example of this mission is IC’s Mend program, which employs women who were formerly abducted by the Lord’s Resistance Army. They learn to be seamstresses and the program provides them with counseling and educates them about life skills, such as, saving and investing money. Some women open small businesses of their own.

         Friday night we met our teaching partners. My teaching partners are so kind and I will have more to tell you about them in later blogs. We had a delicious meal and watched a performance of traditional Ugandan dances.

My first boda ride to the Invisible Children's Office. I thought it would be scarier than it was; it felt extremely freeing! 
 Jolly, a phenomenal woman.

 A traditional dish.
 Gulu market
 A seamstress at the Mend house.
 Mission accomplished: The best avocados and tomatoes ever!
 The girls from the market. We giggled a lot, prayed together, and ate together!

 Maurice showed me his favorite picture--we both agreed that we love love!
 Best friends Maurice and Brian. They let me into the group for the day!
She loves my glasses!

         Saturday, I spent all day in town. I walked through the market by myself in search of an avocado and tomato. I have never had such fresh, flavorful tomatoes and avocados! The market is so big and filled with different items. The only items on the outskirts of the market are clothes and tools, so finding the food was quite the adventure. I asked several people and walked through what seemed like a maze, but finally found my dinner for the evening! On my way out of the market, some young girls called me over to visit their stand. Juliet asked me if I cooked and if I wanted to learn how to cook the doughnut like creation she was selling. She took me through each step and then I bought one from her. Before I ate it, she said that we should pray over it together. So the four of us prayed and then ate the doughnut together. Then we proceeded to take pictures!

         Sunday, I went to church and it was beautiful. It was a incredibly similar to the churches back home, so next week, I will go to a more traditional one, Holy Rosary with Juliet and Irene. After church, I went to St. Jude orphanage and met the sweetest kids. Maurice, the artist showed me around and invited me into his home to show me his artwork.

Favorite moments: Laughing with the girls in the market and hanging out with Maurice.

Until next week. Amori! Love. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! I waited for our Skype appointment today at 1P but was convinced you could not find a connection. What a lovely week you have experienced. The motorcycle, yikes! Lovely blog, looking forward to hearing more. I will be praying for your week. Love always and forever, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT pictures too! Thank you for sharing!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, this just made my week! I love seeing you smile with all the lovely peeps you're meeting! I know it's gonna be hard to fit in the blogging with everything you're doing, but this is just so, so wonderful! Miss you and love you billions, Gressardo-Smitho

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so excited and we're praying for you!

    Freddy T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful start! Praying for you!!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This all sounds so cool - I can't imagine how incredible this experience must be for you. Can't wait to hear more about it. Great pictures!! Stay safe and enjoy the boda rides as often as you can!!!

    Lance

    ReplyDelete