Friday, August 3, 2012

Pope Paul VI Anaka Drama Club Performance

I cannot express how amazing the students in my drama club are and how diligent many of them were to perform their play! I played drama games with them for the first week and by the second they told me they were ready to perform a play. I said, "Fine, let's do it, but you all have to create it." They developed a play that really relates to their lives, Education Is The Way.  Quick synopsis--rich family with two children who do not value education, poor family with two children who work so hard for their education, digging to make school fees. By the end of the play, the two students from the poor family succeed, while the students from the rich family do not. Enjoy the pictures! I have limited access to internet, so I will write a couple more posts when I get home.

 The drama club at Popavissa has been one of great talent and adaptability! Several students dropped out of the production in the last two weeks. Moments before the performance, the lead girl choose to go into town instead of perform. There were two options--I would have to perform or their mother would be dead. I cannot act out a Ugandan mother as well as the young girl who did it, so we decided to go with the mother being dead. The family in the above picture is missing their mother and they did such a great job improving new material about their mother's death!
Classroom scene--the many different types of students within classrooms. 

 The rich father is dealing with his delinquent children with the head teacher a.k.a principal.

 The poor family and the drunkard father is celebrating his children graduating from secondary school a.k.a. high school.

 Some of the primary kids were our audience. All the sudden, they scattered like little ants after someone kicks the anthill. I asked one of the teachers why and apparently, they were supposed to be in school! The little rascals skipping school already!

 Teachers and students enjoying the show!
 The final drama club...most of them were from the very beginning, but because of some students not being able to pay school fees and others not committing, it was constantly changing.


More Pics!
All of the teachers at Pope Paul who participated in the program.

An amazing mentor to many of the girls who are sponsered by Invisible Children. If you would like to sponsor a child (there are many who need it and I will elaborate on this aspect of education in a future post), please look into the Legacy Program.
This is Juliet and her family. She is my friend from the market and I met her the first week I arrived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment